Wednesday, May 14, 2008
77. Picture speaks 1000 words, but one wrong word...
Agreed, a picture speaks a thousand words just like this one here. But how many times have people realized how one wrong word can literally change your mind, actions and results.
It is important to understand the power of positive talk and avoiding negative words. As a Kid, I was always climbing trees, poles and literally hanging upside down. No wonder one day my father found me atop a 30ft tree swinging back and forth along with my cousin Anu. Our little brains dint realize we could get hurt or the tree would break - it was just fun for us!
At that very moment, my dad and Anu's mom noticed a huge gust of wind swaying the tree. I heard my father yelling "Hold on tight son!" and so I did. The next thing I know, I saw Anu screaming at the top of her lungs and lying flat on the ground badly hurt. Later as years rolled by, my dad told me why Anu fell and I dint - Anu fell because Anu's mom said "Anu! dont fall" and she exactly did. The mind always has a difficulty in processing negative images and when it does its always confused/scared. In order to process the command of not falling, Anu's little brain imagined falling, thereby doing the exact opposite! And this is just not true with negative thoughts even negated words. And what makes matters worse is that most people just simply dont listen.
A group of people were asked by a leading motivator to take a pen and hold it on hand.
Do exactly as I say "Try to drop the pen"
Half of them dropped the pen.
You, werent paying attention, I said "TRY to drop the pen"
Now most of them pretended to be in excruciating pain while trying to drop the pen, eventually dropping the pen.
The point made here is that, if you are instructing your brain " Give it a try" you are actually asking your brain to fail. "I will try" will not give you success in life. Psychologists claim that it takes 17 positive words to offset one negative words. I dont know how far it is true, but if the logic holds true, then remember it would take 17 compliments to offset the emotional damage of one harsh criticism. It is important that the kids of this generation are taught to be positive, and to do that start today with positive words. Say I can!! Ciao..,
 
posted by Prasanna Parameswaran at 7:21 PM |


4 Comments:


At 10:01 AM, Blogger Preethe

Hi Prasanna!!
Nice post and a good topic

I have tried applying this..
"Kiddo.. Be careful" is much effective than "Kiddo .. you will hurt yourself"

 

At 2:52 PM, Blogger Unknown

Man I'm doing great.. Now in Chennai, with AIG. Urs is a nice blog too. Sure I'll try to do something with the color, but I intentionally left it like that, to leave an eerie effect in the viewer's mind ;)

 

At 6:19 AM, Blogger Priya

Good to see ya back IA. Good post:)

 

At 11:23 AM, Blogger Prasanna Parameswaran

Hi Priya,
Good to see u too, BTW did notice that you have changed your blog? Y this sudden change?

anyway I'll stop by your blog as and when I find time