Monday, September 04, 2006
Longing Heart of a Young Soul!




















The spark of joy in a childs eye glistens more radiantly than a thousand diamonds. Ah! thats not the case so true for every child on the so called benign surface this planet. There are dreams, hopes, a sly grin and sheepish smiles that when seen on a child, make your heart leap in joy. There are 183,000 children in New Delhi,India below the age of 14 who cannot read and write. And added to the fact is that, Indian children account for one-third of its entire population. You want to know more statistics then read on!
The situation of underpiviledged children in India:
1. 40% of the India's population is below 18 years (which is 400 million that is 400,000,000 which is almost 1.5 times more population than the entire U.S(299 million as of today) as per the latest census here)
2. More than 50% of India's children are malnourished
3. Less than half of India's children between age 6-14 go to school.
4. One in every 10 children in India is disabled.
5. 95 in every 1000 children in India donot see their fifth birthday.

And...... the statistics are endless and yes they are grim. What is extremely disheartening is that we are not ready to give up our priorities, when even the basic "Rights of a Child" is not met:
- Right to survival - to life, health, education, nutrition why all this even nationality
- Right to Protection - from abuse, exploitation and neglect
- Right to development - to care, recreation and cultural activities.
- Right to expression - in thought, expression

And there are more highly disturbing statistics on girl Children, child labours and mentally challenged children. My company in colloboration with Chirag , a small non-profitable organization working for the needs of under-privileged children organized a 1 month event in our office to fulfil the wishes of those children. As a part of this event, ballott boxes were placed in the office corridors in the various branches of the city that has tags with various children's wishes from the orphanages in and around the city. I'd asked one of my friends to pick up a tag on my behalf(as I'm here in US) and all I got in my tag was euphimistic, yet emotionally culminating 6 words of a child
"I need love, I need parents"
Ahhh! At this moment I realized how selfish I had been chasing the trite desires of my life, forgetting that there are far more profound truisms in life that need to addressed. And all I could haplessly do was ramble around on my inefficieny to do anything to fulfil this childs wish! I was and can monetarily help for the needs - but these words tapped my obliviousness to what is really required - the love and affection. And all I've decided now(once I get back to India) is to spend some time with them during weekends and help them cherish the mystic rhythms of life!


The longing heart of a young soul
There are 4 plates and 40 dishes to eat
But I need two shoulders that will carry my feet,
I've a car, a robo, a barbie and a teddy bear,
All I need is two hands to caress me when I'm in fear,
There is the insect bite, and bed-bug in all its mite, that gives me a eek!,
And thats when I need two lovely fingers, to wipe my tears rolling down my cheek,
My heart sulks and wish to jump in a pyre, when somebody says "Oh he is an orphan",
Which is when I need you - Dear Mom and Dad to tell them " Oh I'm having fun"!!!!

By lighting one small candle in the heart of a child, you can spread the light of smile and joy amongst the children of the world. And you can always do that by fulfilling their simple wishes. C.R.Y is another non-profit organization that strives for the betterment of children( For all those in U.S, please see here)
I always remember what Sir Arthur Ashe said
"From what we get, we can make a living
What we give, however, makes a life"
So Start giving!!
 
posted by Prasanna Parameswaran at 7:45 PM |


12 Comments:


At 1:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

IA: A great post and I am happy to know ther are ppl' working for the needs. I and my husband ususally donate during festival period of diwali when the kids need to be happy enjoying the spirit of celeberation.
I did chk' your chiragindia and you guys are doing a good job.

Good thoughts and wishes will always be on top for good people.

 

At 3:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

When I hear of news such as this I often have a heavy heart and then I hear of the great work being done it's lifts me!

Working with children is one of my passions in life, our children need so much love, care and attention from us.

We, all of us, are responsible for every single child on this planet.

We cannot negate responsibility to teachers, parents, etc, we are all responsible and have a duty to all the children of the world.

 

At 6:24 AM, Blogger Keshi

u know if I was not an IT wierdo, I'd have ended up as a kindy teacher. Cos Im a kid in many ways.

Keshi.

 

At 3:39 PM, Blogger Has to be me

IA,
Firstly thanks for visiting my blog & I like ur name of Indian Angel! However I thot it was a girl! Nevertheless, this post of urs is so touchy. Its is disheartening to see/hear abt the under priveledged kids. Normally during bdays I tend to contribute to the orphanages. But like u said what these kids really want is the love & care from parents. Yes v shd all do our best to help these kids. God bless them.

 

At 9:09 PM, Blogger Jeevan

Very proud to see people like u to help for the children’s who lost there parents, worrying about the survey of children’s. We also used to donate every month for the Shivanantha Ashram.

 

At 11:00 PM, Blogger Kavi

This post focuses on a specific problem in society ! Great work prasanna !

People can start doing their two bit by stopping from employing children for domestic chores !

 

At 11:28 PM, Blogger Hip Grandma

Good Job Prasanna.You share your name with my daughter but that's not the only thing that you two have in common.You like her care a lot for those less privileged than yourselves.your post was an inspiring one I try to do my bit but will strive to do more.

 

At 10:05 AM, Blogger Prasanna Parameswaran

All: Thanks for ur comments! Yes if we need to see a developed nation as per kalams dreams by 2020, we need to eradicate illiteracy first, for that we need to educate all the children in our country and take care of their needs! Thanks for you comments once again!

 

At 3:31 PM, Blogger Pavithra

Good post !! The poem was too good !!
"From what we get, we can make a living
What we give, however, makes a life" - Nice words !!

 

At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

 

At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

 

At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous